What is a digital wallet?
A digital wallet is exactly what it sounds like, a “wallet” that is on your mobile device. Paying through your digital wallet is a form of contactless payment, similar to paying with a contactless card. A digital wallet allows you to carry your debit card information in a digital form that is secure on your mobile device.
How do digital wallet payments work?
A digital wallet is accessible through an app on your phone or your wearable device such as a smartwatch, so start by downloading a mobile app. There are many different apps to choose from, and phone companies such as Apple and Android offer versions of a digital wallet.
The digital wallet payment function is enabled for Apple Pay and Google Pay on our Business Debit Mastercard®.
- Apple Pay: Apple’s mobile payment and digital wallet service allows you to make payments in person in iOS-specific apps and online using Safari. The “Wallet” app is supported on the iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad and Mac.
- Google Pay: This app is similar to Apple Pay but for Android devices and is Google’s digital wallet platform and online payment system. The “Google Pay” app allows you to pay in-app, online and in-person with Android phones, tablets and watches.
Then, all you have to do is enter the information of your ESSA Bank & Trust card into your digital wallet app. After adding your card, look for the contactless symbol, which looks like the Wi-Fi symbol turned on its side, at payment terminals in stores. With your digital wallet app open, tap your phone to the contactless symbol when you are checking out.
Why should I use a digital wallet?
- Convenience: Using a digital wallet on your mobile device eliminates the need for you to carry around a bulky wallet with several different cards. All you have to do is confirm your identity with a fingerprint, face scan or PIN and then tap to pay at a business that accepts contactless payments.
- Security: Your card information is encrypted in your digital wallet so the actual card number isn’t transmitted when you’re making a payment. And your full card number isn’t displayed on your phone screen when you’re paying, so people won’t be able to capture that information. Also, you no longer need to worry about misplacing or losing your cards while you are out.
- Accessibility: From restaurants and convenience stores to gas stations and grocery stores, many merchants are now supporting the contactless payment option, which includes digital wallets.
- Efficiency: The tap-and-go process only takes a few seconds, so your checkout is smoother and faster than normal card transactions and cash payments.
- Organization: A digital wallet keeps all of your debit card organized.
A digital wallet offers you more convenience and security than your traditional wallet. If you have any questions about your digital wallet, call 855.713.8001.