Phishy Social Media Quizzes
If you have ever used social media, you have probably seen a “quiz” like the one below.
Which pet should you get? Answer these questions to find out:
- Have you ever traveled outside of the country?
- What town did you grow up in?
- Who is your favorite fictional character?
Now it’s time for your results: You got… a phish!
That’s right, the answers to these simple questions could give cybercriminals the data they need to gain access to your sensitive information.
How Can Cybercriminals Use This Information?
The questions in a social media quiz may seem trivial, but your answers reveal a lot about you. Let’s take a look at how cybercriminals could use your answers to the questions above:
Have you ever traveled outside of the country?
This question reveals whether you have a passport. Knowing which forms of identification you have could help a cybercriminal steal your identity.
What town did you grow up in?
This question reveals a detail that can be used to verify your identity. The town where you grew up could also be where you were born, where you went to high school, or where you met your partner. Cybercriminals could use this information to answer security questions and gain access to an important account.
Who is your favorite fictional character?
This question reveals your interests. Knowing what books or movies you enjoy could provide cybercriminals with a hint to crack your password. Cybercriminals could also use this information to target you on social media. Claiming to have a shared interest is an easy way for cybercriminals to appear friendly and trustworthy.
Remember These Tips to Stay Safe:
- Don’t share any information online that you wouldn’t want to make public. No matter how cautious you are, any information posted on social media can still fall into the wrong hands.
- Social media platforms have many security options that can easily be overlooked, such as your tagged photo settings. Review and edit your privacy settings to be sure your information is kept safe.